Fire destroys corn dryer near Hampton
A fire on a farm near Hampton caused about $130,000 in damage Friday morning.
The Hastings Fire Department was called to 21649 Darsow Ave., near the intersection of 215th Street, around 8:30 a.m. on the report of a fire in a corn dryer.
Hastings fire chief Mike Schutt said some corn got clogged near a heater and was ignited. About 900 bushels of corn and the corn dryer were destroyed in the blaze.
Putting the fire out was labor-intensive, Schutt said, because the corn had to be unloaded from the dryer manually as firefighters doused the unit with water.
The Hampton Fire Department assisted with a water tanker truck. No one was injured, and fire crews were on the scene until about 11:45 a.m.