Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Firefighters work to gain access to a fire burning in the walls of a Farmington business.

Fire disrupts 2 Farmington businesses

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Farmington, 55024
Farmington Minnesota P.O. Box 192 / 312 Oak St. 55024

A downed power line may have caused a fire at Family Chiropractic and B & B Motors Monday afternoon.

The Farmington Fire Department was called to the two businesses around 1:20 p.m. Monday, Farmington fire marshal John Powers said, after someone at the chiropractor's office reported what they thought to be an electrical wire burning. When firefighters arrived, they found an electrical wire that was hot.

Advertisement
Advertisement

As firefighters started working on the building, they discovered there was fire smoldering in the walls and attic, Powers said. The Lakeville department also responded, bringing two chiefs and its ladder truck to lend assistance.

According to Powers, a tree trimming service clearing trees on a lot off of First Street had knocked down one of the power poles on the same block earlier in the day. Powers suspects the downed power line caused the fire.

"I'm thinking the two may very well be related," Powers said at the scene. He will not know for sure until he has a chance to talk to someone from Xcel Energy.

The building had been evacuated and no injuries were reported.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement