Looking Back: Farmington couple had a long-awaited family reunion this week in 1964
50 years ago
No two people will be more excited than Mr. and Mrs. John Mroz, Farmington, formerly of Czechoslovakia, as they meet their daughter whom they haven’t seen for 20 years and their two grandchildren whom they have never seen, Thursday evening.
Their daughter, Mrs. Erna Duchkova and her two children, Erna, 7, and John, 12, of Chlumcay near Pilsen, Czechoslavakia, will arrive at Minneapolis–St. Paul International airport tonight for a 60-day stay. Mr. and Mrs. Mroz will meet them at the airport.
With the help of Rep. Albert Quie of the First Minnesota District, and Ernie Ahlberg of Farmington, the visit was arranged after five years of attempts.
During World War II, Mr. Mroz was a German war prisoner and Mrs. Mroz was in a labor camp. It was at this time that her children, her daughter, age 15, and her son Frank, age 5 were taken from her. Mr. and Mrs. Mroz were reunited in Germany where they continued to live for four and one-half years while trying to find their children.
They came to the United States 15 years ago, living in Northfield for seven years and Farmington for eight years.
School bond ballot is explained
Several questions have come in on the issue which will appear on the ballot at the forthcoming school bond election. R.O. Boehlke, superintendent of schools, said there will be only one question submitted to voters on the July 21 election.
A copy of the question follows:
“Shall the School Board of Independent School District 192, Farmington, Minn., be authorized to borrow money and issue its general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $790,000 for the purpose of providing funds to construct, furnish and equip a new elementary school for the District and acquire a site for said elementary school and a site for a future high school?”
There is no choice of site offered the voter. The site is specified as “the Feely and Storlie properties” in a motion of the June school board meeting and the exact location of the elementary school building is on the Feely property west of the Air Traffic Control Center and facing what would be an extension of Spruce Street. The latter is shown in Sketch “C” Revised, accepted by the board at the June meeting.
The building planned and shown in the sketch is a one-story, 18-classroom elementary building complete with administrative office space, kitchen, cafeteria-physical education area, remedial reading and speech areas. The building will be connected to city sewer and water with natural gas used for heat.
If the question receives a simple majority of votes cast at the election, the board will procure the above mentioned lands which it now has under option and proceed with the actual building of the elementary building. The hope is that it will be ready for occupancy by Sept. 1, 1965.
75 years ago
From the July 7, 1939
edition of the
Dakota County Tribune
New M.E. pastor takes up duties
The Rev. Wm. G. Law, the new pastor of Farmington and Rosemount M. E. Churches delivered his initial sermon to the local congregation Sunday morning. He and Mrs. Law and two sons, Nicholas and Jonathan, are getting settled in the parsonage near the church....
In 1933 he was graduated with highest honors from Garrett graduate school at Northwestern University. During 1932 and 1933 he was student pastor at Aurora, Ill. In 1933 he took up a regular pastorate at Newport, Minn., where on June 5, 1934, he was united in marriage to Miss Irene Jost, a music teacher and a graduate of McPhail’s School of Music, Minneapolis.
For the past two and a half years the Rev. Law has been pastor of the Methodist church in Morristown.
The new pastor has had considerable experience in working with young people.
Local streets to be improved
Farmington is in the process of improving streets this year with the use of W.P.A. labor. In about 10 days the two projects of laying water and sewer on second and water mains on Walnut Street will have been completed.
When this project is finished, the curbing of Spruce Street from the Chevrolet garage to the village limits at the Phil Klaus residence will begin.
In the first block between the Chevrolet garage and the Presbyterian Church, the street will be 44 feet wide, and from this point to the end of the street the road will be 34 feet wide. This will also be done with W.P.A. labor.
The village council has planned that these improvements will be done gradually, that no money will be borrowed and that black topping will be laid as the adjoining property owners want it. Other streets have been considered, but no definite plans laid.
No oiling will be done this year as the council feels that it has been a waste of money and that it has damaged the street with large pitch holes.
100 years ago
From the July 3, 1914
edition of the
Dakota County Tribune
The Dr. Dodge home burglarized
The home of Dr. M.W. Dodge was burglarized early Tuesday morning and the doctor’s trousers and change amounting to less than $5 were taken, entrance being made by the front door which was left unlocked the evening before.
The doctor was awakened about 4 o’clock by light steps in the hall and got up to see what was going on. Upon reaching the hall he saw a man coming from the girls’ room, and upon sight of the doctor starting to make his get away by going through an east window. The burglar crossed Oak at Fourth and went north as fast as he could and followed by the doctor in his night clothes....
The doctor followed the burglar as far as Attorney Rietz’s home, and not having any firearms to defend himself with in case the fellow should turn for fight he gave up the case.