Meetings on planned new school start Feb. 18
Farmington parents who are considering sending their child to a proposed new school in the district can find out more about the school and a planned registration process at a series of meetings scheduled this week and next week.
The new school, proposed to launch in the fall four fourth- through sixth grade students, got support from the Farmington School Board last week. The next step for planners is to identify teachers and accept applications. The application deadline is April 1. If there are more applicants than approximately 100 available positions students will be selected by lottery.
The school as currently planned would do away with traditional grade levels, instead allowing students to advance at their own pace. It would focus on project-based learning, asking students to complete a project that incorporates their interests. It also would reach into the community for partnerships.
More information about the new school is available at www.tiny.cc/192newschool.
Meetings to discuss the new school are scheduled as follows:
• 5 to 8 p.m. Feb. 18 at Farmington Elementary School, 500 Maple St.
• 7 to 8 a.m. Feb. 20 at North Trail Elementary School, 5580 170th St. W
• 10 to 11 a.m. Feb. 20 at the Countryview Community Room, 5775 Countryview Trail
• 10 to 11 a.m. Feb. 27 at the Farmington Community Education Center, 6100 195th St.
• 5 to 6 p.m. March 3 at Akin Road Elementary School, 5231 195th St.
• 7 to 8 p.m. March 3 at Riverview Elementary School, 4200 208th St. W.