Smoke without fire, but still plenty alarming
There was smoke, but no fire early Sunday morning in Desiree Kramer's home, but it was still enough to raise some heart rates and cause a major disruption.
Kramer woke at around 2:15 a.m. Sunday to the sound of smoke detectors blaring. The air in her bedroom was thick with smoke.
"It was pretty crazy. We couldn't really see anything, because it was so smoky," Kramer said. "It was just grab your cell phones and get out the door."
Kramer grabbed her 1 1/2-year-old daughter and made sure her mother and her aunt were able to get out.
Farmington police arrived a couple of minutes later, and firefighters a couple of minutes after that. The source of the smoke turned out to be the home's furnace, which had overheated. Kramer wasn't entirely sure Monday just why the problem had occurred.
The smell of smoke and burned plastic lingered throughout the day Sunday and into Monday. Kramer and her family spent the rest of Saturday night and Sunday night in a hotel. On Monday, she was back home to continue airing things out and clean up the mud left behind by firefighters.
"I'm just trying to get rid of the smoke," Kramer said. "That's the main thing."
Kramer said she was grateful for the quick response of police and firefighters, and relieved to know her smoke alarms were working properly.
"We would have been breathing the harmful toxins from that smoke for the rest of the morning," she said. "We were all sound asleep."