City wants input on Pilot Knob's futureLots of residents have ideas about what needs to be done to make Pilot Knob Road safer in Farmington. On March 18, they can share those views.
By: Michelle Leonard, The Farmington Independent
Lots of residents have ideas about what needs to be done to make Pilot Knob Road safer in Farmington. On March 18, they can share those views.
The city of Farmington and Dakota County have been working with School District 192 officials over the past year to look at Farmington’s transportation needs for the future. At first, Flagstaff Avenue — with the new high school to the west — posed the most pressing questions. A temporary fix was identified for the first year, so now city and county traffic planners have turned their attentions to Pilot Knob Road.
Four intersections along Pilot Knob Road have been identified as primary intersections for the future, Farmington city engineer Kevin Schorzman said. Those intersections — at 195th Street, 190th Street, 187th Street and Upper 182nd Street — are the places where traffic officials expect to see the most activity as Farmington grows and traffic patterns increase along Pilot Knob Road.
The groups involved have not yet identified what types of traffic control devices will be used, be they roundabouts, signals or all-way stop signs, Schorzman said. The open house is being held so residents have a chance to comment on the selected intersections.
“This open house is for comments on the long-term vision for Pilot Knob Road,” Schorzman said. “It’s the last opportunity for people to share their opinions with us for those intersections.”
The information that will be shared is based off of opinions shared at previous public comment sessions. The proposals that will be provided are not permanent decisions, Schorzman added.
“We came up with these preferred alternatives based on the few comments we did get in the past,” he said, “but that doesn’t mean there can’t be changes.”
The open house will be held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. March 18 at Farmington City Hall. It is open to all residents in the community. Maps will be available to illustrate some of the proposals.
Comments received at the open house will be added to the Farmington area transportation study, which will be presented to the city council and Farmington school board members in an April 1 joint meeting.
The Farmington Area Transportation Study is a joint project between the city of Farmington and Dakota County. It was budgeted as a $75,000 undertaking, with the city covering 45 percent (approximately $33,750) of the cost and Dakota County covering the remaining 55 percent of the cost. School District 192 is not participating in the cost of the study.