Fire injures one Monday afternoonA Monday afternoon fire that injured a 45-year-old Empire Township woman has been described as suspicious in nature, but the incident still under investigation.
By: Michelle Leonard, The Farmington Independent
A Monday afternoon fire that injured a 45-year-old Empire Township woman has been described as suspicious in nature, but the incident still under investigation.
Farmington fire marshal John Powers has not determined the official cause of the fire, which was called in at 4:08 p.m. Monday. The fire was contained to one room in the basement of a home on the 1800 block of East 220th St. in Empire Township.
The Farmington Fire Department and Dakota County Sheriff’s Department both received the call. Chief deputy sheriff Dave Bellows said upon arriving at the scene deputies found a gas leak. Inside, they found an adult female who needed medical assistance. Deputies provided initial care until an ambulance arrived.
Firefighters arrived within five minutes of being dispatched, Powers said. When they arrived, smoke was visible from the exterior of the home. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control by 5 p.m.
Investigators remained on the scene until 11 p.m. The fire was contained to the room where it started, Powers said, but he had not been able to speak with the female victim by Tuesday. Powers said the fire was “suspicious.”
The female victim was transported by ambulance to Fairview Southdale. Neither her name nor her condition has been released.