Student column: Little joys are a big dealIt’s the little joys in life that make life special. Even though they don’t seem like they have the power to change the course of your day, they really do. Don’t take them for granted.
By: Marissa Opp, The Farmington Independent
It’s the little joys in life that make life special. Even though they don’t seem like they have the power to change the course of your day, they really do. Don’t take them for granted.
Here are some small things that always put a smile on my face.
• Getting an A+ on a test you studied really hard for. It always feels good knowing that when you really try hard to do well it pays off.
• Getting complimented by a random person. This one is pretty self-explanatory. Who doesn’t like to be complimented? And coming from someone you usually don’t talk to it means that much more.
• Getting called on by a teacher when they thought you weren’t paying attention, and then knowing the answer. This just always makes me feel good; proving a teacher wrong always gives your confidence a little boost.
• Warm, fresh blankets directly out of the dryer. I love to wrap myself up in my blankets the second they are dry; they are just so warm and comfy.
• Getting the first parking spot available. You wouldn’t understand how much getting the closest parking spot means to a person until you’re the sucker in the far back corner of the high school’s parking lot. It’s pretty much a marathon to get to the school from way back there.
• Going home from school with no homework. Helllloo free time and getting to bed at a reasonable hour.
• Being the first person to dip the knife into a brand new jar of peanut butter . My sister and I always fight for who gets to do this. I don’t really know why, but that just is the greatest thing to us.
• Hitting all the stop lights green on your way somewhere. Let’s be honest. My generation is very impatient, so we hate hitting red lights. Green lights all the way!
• Jumping into a perfectly still pool. I just love seeing the pool not have a ripple in it before I jump in. Weird? Yes, very. But it’s just one of those things that make me happy.
• Accomplishing something before the microwave hits 00:00 and your food is done. I know I’m not the only one who does this. Is an explanation even necessary?
• Drinking cold lemonade on a hot day. Preferably, Ruby Tuesdays’ strawberry lemonade, but that’s just me being picky; any lemonade tastes delicious.
• Finding a good deal on something you’ve been waiting for a long time. When you know you’re going to get something, it’s always nice to find out it’s a better price than you originally thought.
• Having that cute older guy smile at you. This is obviously directed towards the ladies, but whenever an older guy smiles at you, you can’t help but be flattered!
• Good hair days. Girls and boys can relate to this; you’re always in a better mood on the days your hair looks good. It just happens that way.
Marissa Opp is a student at Farmington High School. Her column appears every other week. If you would like to be a student columnist next year call editor Nathan Hansen at 651-460-6606.