B-3 Fencing Ordinance in teh DCD 6-18-12CITY OF FARMINGTON
CITY OF FARMINGTON
ORDINANCE NO. 012-645
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING SECTION 10-6-28(I) OF THE
ZONING CODE AS IT RELATES TO SCREENING AND FENCING
THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF FARMINGTON ORDAINS:
SECTION 1. That Section 10-6-28(I) of the Farmington City Code is hereby amended by adding the underlined language as follows:
10-6-28: DOWNTOWN COMMERCIAL OVERLAY DISTRICT DESIGN STANDARDS:
(I) Screening And Fencing:
1. Screening; Fencing: Screening of service yards, refuse, and waste removal areas, loading docks, truck parking areas and other areas which tend to be unsightly shall be accomplished by use of walls, fencing, dense planting, or any combination of these elements. Screening shall block views from public rights of way, private street and off street parking areas, and shall be equally effective in winter and summer. Fencing for screening purposes may be installed at a height of up to eight feet (8'), with the approval of a building permit. Fencing used for screening purposes shall only be allowed in the side and rear yards. Chainlink and slatted fencing are prohibited within the Downtown Commercial Overlay District with the exception of properties zoned as B-3. Chainlink and slatted fencing is permissible in the side and rear yards of properties zoned B-3 when not adjacent to an established residential use. On property lines adjacent to established residential uses the fencing shall consist of wood or vinyl.
2. Screening Of Mechanical Equipment: Mechanical equipment, satellite dishes, and other utility hardware, whether located on the roof or exterior of the building or on the ground adjacent to it, shall be screened from the public view with materials identical to or strongly similar to building materials, or by landscaping that will be effective in winter, or they shall be located so as not to be visible from any public right of way, private street or off street parking area. In no case shall wooden fencing be used as a rooftop equipment screen.
3. Decorative Fencing: All fencing (with the exception of fencing identified in the screening requirements of subsection (I)1 of this section) visible from a public right of way shall not exceed a height of six feet (6') in the side and rear yards and four feet (4') in the front yards. Decorative fencing shall consist of the following materials:
(a) Wrought iron.
(c) Ornamental aluminum.
4. Fencing Maintenance: The maintenance of all fences within the downtown commercial overlay district shall be in accordance with subsection 10-6-12(H) of this chapter.
5. Historic Landmarks: No fencing shall be attached to any historic landmark building or structure.
SECTION2. Effective Date. This ordinance shall be effective upon its passage and publication according to law.
ADOPTED this 18th day of June, 2012, by the City Council of the City of Farmington.
CITY OF FARMINGTON
/S/: Todd Larson, Mayor
/S/: David McKnight, City Administrator
Approved as to form the 25th day of June 2012.
/S/: City Attorney