Student column: Snow shortage: good or bad?Does anyone else think it’s weird that we’re almost halfway through November and – as of the time I wrote this — it hasn’t snowed yet? I’m surely not complaining that the weather has been nice. I’m not a huge fan of the cold. But that thought just popped into my head the other day and I couldn’t seem to shake it.
By: Marissa Opp, The Farmington Independent
Does anyone else think it’s weird that we’re almost halfway through November and – as of the time I wrote this — it hasn’t snowed yet? I’m surely not complaining that the weather has been nice. I’m not a huge fan of the cold. But that thought just popped into my head the other day and I couldn’t seem to shake it. By the time November rolls around you would think we’d have snow by now. I thought up a list of reason why I’m glad and sad that is hasn’t snowed and, as you can see below, the list of reason I’m glad is a little bit longer.
10 reasons I’m glad it hasn’t snowed
1. Don’t have to scrape thick ice and/or snow off my car in the morning.
2. Don’t have to wear a hat to school; no girl enjoys hat hair all day, every day.
3. Don’t have to worry about slipping and landing on my butt every time I walk outside.
4. No need to put on layers upon layers just keep warm in the tundra we call our high school.
5. The roads aren’t nearly as slippery as they will be when they’re covered in ice.
6. Having warm weather longer will make winter seem shorter, which means less time we have to deal with layers, ice scrapers, icy roads, the sun going down so early, etc.
7. Don’t need to waterproof the Ugg boots yet.
8. The car isn’t as cold every morning before school, and it doesn’t take as long to heat up.
9. The wetness doesn’t ruin my hair walking into school.
10. The newspaper is always dry in the morning.
7 reasons I’m sad it hasn’t snowed
1. Can’t make a snowman or snow angels.
2. Can’t go sledding on the weekends.
3. No pretty white scenery.
4. Can’t learn to ski or snowboard just yet; except maybe at Buck Hill if it’s cold enough for them to make their own snow.
5. There’s absolutely no possibility of having a snow day, a late start, nothing.
6. Can’t have a snowy night curled up with hot chocolate without the snow part of it!
7. I haven’t been able to use my pink, breast cancer awareness, ice scraper.
What’s your opinion on the warm weather we’ve been having? I’m sure everyone’s opinion is slightly different. Even in my house it is. I asked a couple of my friends and family their opinion on the lack of snow and this is outcome of it: Eight were glad it hasn’t snowed. Ten were sad it hasn’t snowed.
I wasn’t surprised by this conclusion. This is Minnesota. The people living here expect to have snow to ski and snowboard on. (Which was the top reason people were sad it hasn’t snowed yet.)
So for those 10 people, let’s cross our fingers that we get snow sometime soon.
Marissa Opp is a student at Farmington High School. Her column appears every other week.