Weather Forecast


Fire damages Farmington home

An unattended candle is to blame for a small fire Monday morning at a Farmington home.

According to Farmington fire marshal John Powers a teenage boy left a candle burning overnight in his bedroom in the 4600 block of 206th St. He told firefighters he thought he'd extinguished the candle this morning when he went to school but the flame set fire to a desk, a computer and some nearby vinyl records.

Powers said the fire was burning about five minutes before the boy's mother noticed. She put out most of the fire with a fire extinguisher.

"We came in and mopped it up. There's smoke damage in the basement, first floor," Powers said.

Powers estimated the fire did about $25,000 damage.

The fire comes just days after the end of the fire department's annual Fire Prevention Week. The theme of this year's event was Prevent Home Fires.

"We just talked about that," Powers said.