Weather Forecast


Dryer fire damages Farmington home

Laundry is one of those pretty mundane tasks that everyone ends up doing sooner or later. But for one Farmington resident, doing laundry wasn't so boring Wednesday.

Just before 3 p.m. Tuesday, Farmington firefighters responded to the report of a basement fire on the 18100 block of Echo Terrace. According to Farmington fire marshal John Powers, the fire started in the dryer, then extended into the wall cavity behind the dryer.

Firefighters arrived within five minutes of the call, and were able to extinguish the blaze quickly. The fire was contained to the room of origin, but there was smoke damage throughout the home. Powers estimates the damage at $15,000 to $20,000.

Powers said it's the third dryer fire local firefighters have responded to in the past year.

"It's one of the most common types of fires we have. It's usually caused by lint build-up in the base or vent area of the dryer," he said. "We recommend you clean our the vent and duct work annually, or have a service contractor take a look."

This homeowner was lucky, Powers said, because the individual was home and was able to alert fire fighters when the fire began.

Michelle Leonard

Michelle Leonard joined the Woodbury Bulletin staff in November, 2014, after 14 years covering news for the Bulletin's sister publication, the Farmington Rosemount Independent Town Pages.  Michelle earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communications: News-Editorial from Mankato State University in 1991. She is an active member of the American Legion Auxiliary Clifford Larson Unit 189 of Farmington, and served as the 2014-15 Third District President to the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Minnesota. Michelle is also the volunteer coordinator for the Minnesota Newspaper Museum which is open annually during the Minnesota State Fair. She has earned Minnesota Newspaper Association awards in Investigative Reporting, Local News Coverage, Feature Photography and Column Writing. 

(651) 702-0974