Weather Forecast


Fire damages a Farmington home

A little candle can do a lot of damage, as one Farmington homeowner learned Friday night.

The Farmington Fire Department was called to a house fire on the 5100 block of Upper 182nd Street around 10:45 p.m. Friday. Fire chief Tim Pietsch said the initial call indicated there were flames visible, but when firefighters arrived they found a house mostly filled with smoke. The occupants of the home were able to get out before firefighters arrived.

Reports at the scene indicated the fire had been started by a candle left burning. It ignited a chair in the house, but the fire was contained to one room. Once firefighters established the fire was extinguished, they checked the attic as well to make sure the flames had not spread. Finding that the fire had not traveled into the ceiling, firefighters set about ventilating the home.

Michelle Leonard

Michelle Leonard joined the Woodbury Bulletin staff in November, 2014, after 14 years covering news for the Bulletin's sister publication, the Farmington Rosemount Independent Town Pages.  Michelle earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communications: News-Editorial from Mankato State University in 1991. She is an active member of the American Legion Auxiliary Clifford Larson Unit 189 of Farmington, and served as the 2014-15 Third District President to the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Minnesota. Michelle is also the volunteer coordinator for the Minnesota Newspaper Museum which is open annually during the Minnesota State Fair. She has earned Minnesota Newspaper Association awards in Investigative Reporting, Local News Coverage, Feature Photography and Column Writing. 

(651) 702-0974