Weather Forecast


Fire disrupts 2 Farmington businesses

Firefighters work to gain access to a fire burning in the walls of a Farmington business.

A downed power line may have caused a fire at Family Chiropractic and B & B Motors Monday afternoon.

The Farmington Fire Department was called to the two businesses around 1:20 p.m. Monday, Farmington fire marshal John Powers said, after someone at the chiropractor's office reported what they thought to be an electrical wire burning. When firefighters arrived, they found an electrical wire that was hot.

As firefighters started working on the building, they discovered there was fire smoldering in the walls and attic, Powers said. The Lakeville department also responded, bringing two chiefs and its ladder truck to lend assistance.

According to Powers, a tree trimming service clearing trees on a lot off of First Street had knocked down one of the power poles on the same block earlier in the day. Powers suspects the downed power line caused the fire.

"I'm thinking the two may very well be related," Powers said at the scene. He will not know for sure until he has a chance to talk to someone from Xcel Energy.

The building had been evacuated and no injuries were reported.

Michelle Leonard

Michelle Leonard joined the Woodbury Bulletin staff in November, 2014, after 14 years covering news for the Bulletin's sister publication, the Farmington Rosemount Independent Town Pages.  Michelle earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communications: News-Editorial from Mankato State University in 1991. She is an active member of the American Legion Auxiliary Clifford Larson Unit 189 of Farmington, and served as the 2014-15 Third District President to the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Minnesota. Michelle is also the volunteer coordinator for the Minnesota Newspaper Museum which is open annually during the Minnesota State Fair. She has earned Minnesota Newspaper Association awards in Investigative Reporting, Local News Coverage, Feature Photography and Column Writing. 

(651) 702-0974