Weather Forecast


Itasca County deputy saves four from sauna fire

A candle may have started a sauna fire that injured four people early Saturday, the Itasca County Sheriff's Department reported.

The Sheriff's Office received a 911 call at 12:06 a.m. reporting a fire at a cabin located on Swan Lake in rural Pengilly. A deputy responding to the call pulled the four victims from the sauna, whose attached changing room had caught fire.

Those injured in the fire were Carrie Lee Anderson, 26, and Peter Michael Anderson, 26, both of Northfield, Minn., and Cassie Lynn Masloski, 26 and James Arthur Zgoda, 28, both of Hastings, Minn. According to the sheriff's office, two of the victims were taken to Grand Itasca Medical Center and later airlifted to Miller-Dwan in Duluth. The other two were taken to Hibbing Medical Center and later airlifted to Regions Medical Center in St Paul.

Sheriff's office said a burning candle in the changing room appears to be the cause of the fire. The state fire marshal's of-fice is investigating the fire.