Weather Forecast


Fire leaves Farmington family without a home

Mike Hartzell, left, looks over the damage after an overnight fire tore through his home Monday. Damage to the home is estimated around $100,000.

A Farmington family is finding somewhere else to live after an early morning fire destroyed much of their home Monday.

Three people were at home in the Hartzell residence on the 5500 block of Lower 182nd Street when the fire started late Sunday, Mike Hartzell said. His wife heard something outside and thought she smelled smoke.

"She looked out and saw the garage was on fire," Hartzell said.

The family of three was able to escape and call Farmington firefighters. The call was received at 11:43 p.m., Farmington fire marshal John Powers said. The fire started on the exterior of the garage, Powers said, but then spread into the garage and the roof of the house.

Firefighters got the fire knocked down, but were called back to the residence later in the morning when Hartzell noticed an area of the roof appeared to be smoldering. Firefighters left the Hartzell home around 8 a.m. Monday morning.

By late Monday morning, Hartzell said the family was unsure where they would stay after the blaze.

"This is really tough," he said.

After a preliminary investigation, Powers believes the fire may have started with the spontaneous combustion of painting and finishing products stored on the property. He estimates damage around $100,000.

Nathan Hansen

Nathan Hansen has been a reporter and editor with the Farmington Independent and the Rosemount Town Pages since 1997. He is very tall.

(651) 460-6606