Gas leak forces evacuations
Farmington firefighters evacuated 75 people from their homes and businesses late Monday morning because of a gas leak on 195th Street west of Eureka Avenue.
A construction crew working with a bulldozer severed a four-inch gas main at about 11:15 a.m. Monday, fire chief Jim Larsen said. Firefighters responded and immediately started moving people away from the source of the leak.
“The first priority is to evacuate the area and cut off any ignition sources,” Larsen said. “We ordered the construction workers to cease what they were doing and then started evacuating some of the immediate residences and the businesses to the southeast.”
Those evacuees included children and staff at a daycare center.
Firefighters went door to door at homes and businesses to locate people in the area. Evacuees had to walk to Fire Station No. 2, where the fire department set up a temporary shelter. Everyone was bused back to their home or business when the area was clear.
Minnesota Energy capped the severed line. Businesses and homes were monitored for gas.
All told, residents were displaced for about 90 minutes, Larsen said.