Weather Forecast


Boys Soccer: Conference, section races heating up

Farmington topped Chanhassen 7-1 last Tuesday.

The Farmington boys soccer team was less than three minutes away from playing to its second straight tie Saturday afternoon when Owatonna scored late in the second overtime to grab a 2-1 victory in a battle between section rivals in Owatonna.

The Huskies, who entered with an overall record of just 3-7-1, played an efficient game on the offensive end. They booted just eight shots at Tiger goalkeeper Chad Stivers, but found the net on two of them.

"Owatonna is a good counter-attack team with some strong, fast wings. They were good at crashing the net and getting multiple shots off if the initial shot was blocked," Farmington coach Julian Buss said. "We felt like we should have won this won. We played well and did a decent job of countering their attacks. Chad had some nice stops and the defense played well."

Offensively, however, the Tigers never got going. Their only goal came from senior Brandon Scott, his ninth of the season, on a corner kick from Urive Omana to tie the game at 1-1 late in the first half.

"We had multiple shot opportunities throughout the game that I felt could have gone out way, but we were exceedingly unlucky in that regard," Buss said. "Nothing seemed to want to drop in the net."

The loss dropped the Tigers to 2-2-1 against Section 1AA opponents. They will get their last chance to improve their section tournament seeding tonight when they play at Lakeville South.

Farmington 1, Shakopee 1

Nine saves by Stivers kept the score deadlocked and kept the Tigers in the thick of the Missota Conference race in an eventual 1-1 tie against Shakopee Thursday night at Tiger Stadium.

The Tigers remain in second place in the conference at 3-0-1, one-half game behind 3-0 Holy Angels and one-half game ahead of 2-0-1 Shakopee with three league contests remaining.

"This was a good game for us, coming from behind to tie a quality Missota Conference opponent," Buss said. "We have our sights set on the championship and hope to keep up the level of play as we head off to face four consecutive and crucial opponents."

The Sabers scored midway through the first half and kept the lead until Tyler Vue found the net at the 27:37 mark of the second half.

"Hats off to Tyler Vue for getting the job done," Bus said. "After playing on varsity his sophomore year and sitting out his junior year with an injury, Tyler had what I would consider the best game of his high school career."

Farmington 7,Chanhassen 1

Something clicked in the second half of last Tuesday's home game against Chanhassen.

After going scoreless over the first 30 minutes and playing to a 1-1 halftime tie, the Tigers erupted for six goals in the second half and rolled to a 7-1 victory.

Reid Wolf opened the scoring with a goal with 9:48 left in the first half. The score stayed 1-1 for nearly 20 minutes before Cole Landwehr scored the first of his career-high four goals in a span of 17 minutes.

Blake Smith and Kenny Riley also found the net in the second half.

"I don't know what happened to our boys during the second half but for the last 30 minutes of the game we lit it up," Buss said.