Weather Forecast


Boys lacrosse: At 7-5, Tigers earn first home playoff game

As of last Saturday's release of the Section 3 playoff seedings, the Farmington lacrosse team has accomplished just about all the goals it set before the season.

Coach Paul Sorensen said the third-year program's main objectives were to beat Lakeville North and Lakeville South, finish with a .500-or-better record at home and finish in the top half of the section. The Tigers knocked off Lakeville South on the road in an overtime thriller in late April and clinched a 4-2 record at Tiger Stadium by downing Rochester Mayo 9-4 in last Tuesday's regular season finale. The 7-5 squad ended up getting the No. 8 seed in the section and earned its first-ever section tournament home game Wednesday night against No. 9 seed Rochester John Marshall. Results from that game can be found online at

The Rockets won an earlier meeting between the two teams 12-11 just over two weeks ago in Rochester. Wednesday's winner advances to take on top-seeded Eastview Friday in Apple Valley.

"We have played or can play with anybody in our section if we stay even strength. Penalties have been our Achilles heel all season," Sorensen said. "Keep our players on the field and we are capable of anything."

Defense was the key to victory in last Tuesday's finale. The Tigers held Rochester Mayo to eight shots on goal and allowed just two goals in the final three quarters. Goaltender Charlie Weierke finished with four saves and picked up his seventh win of the season.

"Our defensive unit played well, keeping Mayo at bay all night," Sorensen said.

The Tigers finished with 32 shots on goal. Brendon Berg took eight of them and finished with a team-leading four goals. Trevor Howard had two goals and four assists and Matt Ackerman had two goals and two assists. Jacob Bauman had one assist.

Marty Gliva capped off Senior Night with his first career goal.

"Marty has been an inspirational leader to this team ever since he joined our program," Sorensen said. "We couldn't be happier for him."

The Tigers led 5-3 heading into the fourth and pulled away with four goals in the final 12 minutes.