Weather Forecast


Boys soccer: Tigers keep pace in Missota

Farmington's Jared Wolt prepares to kick the ball up the field during last Tuesday's win over Red Wing. The Tigers are 3-0-1 in the Missota Conference.

The Farmington boys soccer team kept pace with the leaders in the Missota Conference with a pair of league victories last week.

The Tigers pulled away for a 3-1 win over Red Wing on their home field last Tuesday, and then overcame a slew of missed opportunities to hang on for a 1-0 shutout last Thursday at New Prague. The team now sits at 7-4-1 overall and 3-0-1, a half-game behind sixth-ranked (Class 1A) Holy Angels and Chaska, in the league standings.

"We put together a good number of scoring opportunities, but had difficulty finishing. I think the boys were frustrated after the win because the final score didn't really show how well they controlled the game, but I don't really have any complaints," Farmington coach Julian Buss said. "This was a conference win on the road. A win is a win."

Kaid Nokes accounted for the lone goal of the game on a line-drive kick from 20 yards out in the final two minutes of the first half. Sweeper Eric Stoeckmann moved up the field and provided the assist.

Sam Peterson saved three shots in the first half, including a break-away that would have given the Trojans the lead early on.

"He timed his run and challenged the ball on a break-away that happened to get the best of our defense," Buss said. "Sam slid with a diving stop right behind the 18-yard line, getting possession of the ball just as he collided with a New Prague forward. That was the save of the game."

Isaac Toenjes took over keeper duties in the second half and saved four shots to preserve the Tiger lead and the team's second shutout of the season.

The goalkeepers had more breathing room in last Tuesday's game at Tiger Stadium.

Urive Omana opened the scoring with a goal on a pass from Blake Smith at the 15:74 mark of the first half. Omana got the ball with his back to the goal, turned and shot the ball over the Red Wing keeper's head from 25 yards out. The shot gave Smith his eighth assist of the season, which ranks among the state leaders.

Tyler Petter-McCauley made it 2-0 midway through the second half when he scored on a pass from Jared Wolt.

Smith capped off the scoring when he rebounded a Jake Bauman shot and sent it back into the net to stretch the lead to 3-0 at the 18:36 mark of the second half.

"We played a good game - lots of movement without the ball, plenty of passing, good crosses and communication," Buss said. "Red Wing only managed to get four shots off all game. We really controlled the pace and play of the game."

Peterson played the first 70 minutes in goal and stopped three shots. Toenjes added one save.

The Tigers hosted Chaska Tuesday and are back at Tiger Stadium this afternoon against Owatonna.